American Specialty is a nationally recognized insurance company managing general underwriter serving the sports, leisure and entertainment industries across the United States and works with the National Association of Mobile Entertainers as their exclusive insurance broker. In order to get these amazing deep discounts on insurance, you must join as a Name Entertainers member first. Each month we will be featuring one of our many entertainer benefits as a N.A.M.E member. This months feature is why its important to have insurance as a professional DJ, KJ, disc jockey or karaoke operator.

DJ equipment costs a pretty penny so make sure you insure it well!

Q: Why should a disc jockey, karaoke operator, DJ or KJ have liability insurance?

A: Liability coverage protects you as an individual entertainer and your business from third-party claims of bodily injury, property damage liability and personal advertising injury claims. For example, a guest at one of your performances is injured and sues you as a result of the injury. Or, you cause or allegedly cause damage to a facility that you are using for your gig.

Q: Why should I have equipment insurance?

A: Your equipment is valuable and often times fragile. Accidents happen! Make sure that you have proper equipment coverage to repair or replace your valuable equipment in the event of damage to your property.

Professional DJs need to make sure they have their backs covered with entertainment insurance.

Q: Should I have both types of coverage? Why?

A: Liability and equipment insurance are very different coverages. Liability insurance protects you from lawsuits as outlined above and property insurance is designed to make you whole (not better, but whole) in the event of damage or loss of property resulting from a covered peril. One of our new and exciting advantages is provides you with 24/7 access to your insurance information when you need it! It offers the ability to produce certificates of insurance online and at your convenience, claims reporting and access to one of our licensed insurance agents once you have initially purchased insurance from American Specialty Insurance as a member of N.A.M.E.

Photobooths are a popular addition for DJs to offer to keep the fun flowing. We also offer insurance for photo booth operators!

Q: For photobooths, is there an additional charge if a DJ has a photobooth while they are entertaining at a gig?

A: Photobooths tend to continue to be a popular trend and a fun activity at many events! Our DJ event insurance allows a DJ to operate a photo booth while entertaining at a gig for no additional premium! If the operation of the photo booth requires the DJ to have an assistant to operate the photo booth during a gig while the DJ is entertaining, coverage for an assistant must be purchased.

Let’s not forget about karaoke operators, we have entertainment insurance for you too!

Q: What is the definition of a DJ professional for insurance purposes?

A: A DJ professional would be classified as a full-time DJ that works independently at a gig on behalf of the insureds business. The DJ assistant would be classified as an individual that provides assistance and support to the DJ professional during a gig.

Q: How do we get in touch with American Specialty?

A: The fastest way to contact American Specialty is by email at You can also reach American Specialty by phone at 877-441-4011 or via the online chat feature at

Make sure you’re covered while you’re DJing outside as well!

Leave a Reply